Monday, July 25, 2005

English, French & Scot


From your birth I adored you in
the Glens, as far as my eye could see, white
towered in France,
you and me young in the English grass,
a bond of medieval jewellery exchanged.
Independent Brave, fighting,
high-caused, brilliant, beloved, bound as you were also
to your mother heart and your father's grave
legacy.
I heard you, - as if I were a bird - as you fell,
black curls, your fighting arm in tatters, but I
was bound and gagged with white silk
and flatterers. Mute.
Long, the screech of you echoed through time,
to a little girl's dream,
louder it rolled and echoed -
until it was a cackling witch-lady, black, and
fell into an address of Scott's works.
I realised you had Gone. You were gone, -
my heart, my soul, my medieval jewel, - eclipsed by white.
My spirit mourned - I was betrothed to another,
distaste I was made to hide.
My soul was dragged - a leather satchel
into the muddied pools of the fields of war.
Catapulted back, a shot from a sling, I journeyed
through the black, where time had stood still, and waved
finer hands over the field where your spirit lay slain, inert, cause lost.
I was black as night with charcoal eyes -
an eagle's crest on my brow -
I called, and screeched as you did, against the
stone-hard queen, and won your favour
rightly, and knightly - your soul was freed
from its dark, agonised void.
And what can I say
to you now,
but breathe?
copyright Monika Roleff 2005.

2 Comments:

At 1:19 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

"Blue Hills" Image courtesy of Microsoft Photo.

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

My father is a tenor and like you, sang many of these songs in Germany as a young man, until the family migrated to Australia when he was 20. Then he sang up a storm here too - a lot of classical liturgies and he loves Latin the most. (I'm pretty keen on it myself) He just bursts into song anytime. His most favourite is "Der Freischutz" by Weber, and he loves troubadours, minstrels and any folklore to do with wandering and freedom, which is what this opera is about. You reminded me of this in your piece in the Abbey. And it's intoxicating, isn't it? The freedom of wandering...

The suffering of Christ is such a symbol of contemplation and so it would have been in the 12th century. Grave and still, perpetual mourning. It just about says it all, doesn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home